Saturday, March 1, 2008

What Happened?

Last night during evenings prayers at The New Conspirators conference somebody read the passage from Luke about the Good Samaritan. As a kid, this story was always followed by a reminder that we are supposed to be nice to others/be a friend. Because I heard it so much growing up, I stopped really listening to what the passage has to say.
The story is not about being a friend. Yes, we are supposed to be nice to those around us, but it's not the point that Jesus was trying to make. If we someone in need, we are supposed to do something about it. Not later. Now. When I read the story, I see the priest thinking "I'll go get someone that is better trained at meeting the physical and emotional needs of those that have been mugged." Then, I see the Levite passing by saying "I really should give more money to charity for poor people like that guy over there. Now, can I really spare any more money after already tithing..." All the guy really needed was for someone to take care of his basic needs until he was back on his feet.
Living in Seattle, I'm constantly surrounded by the homeless. Usually, I avoid eye contact and keep walking. That means that I'm avoiding my responsibility to help my neighbor. Maybe all the person needs is for someone to stop and talk to them about their life. Maybe they need a couple of dollars to get something to eat besides junk food.
In a society and culture where preachers are telling us that God wants us to be comfortable and stable (the prosperity gospel), we often skip over the words that we don't want to hear: the words that Jesus spoke about going the extra mile, loving everyone equally, sacrificing our time and money in order that someone might have a warm meal today. I think that the church has fallen down on one of it's main responsibilities. How can we expect someone to care two cents about Jesus if those that claim to love Jesus don't care two cents about them?

No comments: