Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Grandma Lee

I just got the call that I somehow knew would be coming soon. Dad called to tell me that Grandma Lee, my great-grandmother, died today. I can't even start to describe all the emotions that I feel. I loved her deeply and I know that she felt the same for me.
Grandma Lee is the woman that I like to think that I got a large chunk of my personality from. She was spunky, independent, and well-traveled. Her stories of Africa inspired me to take my own trip to the continent. She was a rock-solid Christian with deep convictions. Her first question to me was if I had a boyfriend yet and she always encouraged me that the day would come when I would find someone right for me. She told me it would take a very special man to keep up with me :)
I keep going over and over scenes of her in my head. What I remember from when I was younger and more recent conversations. The time I remember most clearly was a couple of years ago right before I went to Africa. We went over her memories again and then she asked what I wanted to do in life. I told her that I wanted to do missions, but I didn't know where. She asked me if I was afraid to which I said I was a little afraid because I had no clear direction yet. Grandma Lee looked me straight in the eyes and said "If you're doing the Lord's will, there is never a reason for you to be afraid."

1 comment:

Rach said...

Liz, I'm so sorry.