Sunday, March 23, 2008

Like Thomas

A reflection after reading John 20...

She walked up to the door and gave a quick glance to the left and to the right. Knocking the secret code on the door she thought, If the army really wants to take us, they won’t need a secret code to get in.

Somebody opened the door. Stepping in, she saw that it was Peter. Barely glancing at him, she started say “I brought some food with me. The bread…”

“Lindsay, we saw him. He’s alive!”

“Slow down. What did you say?”

“We saw him.”

“Him who?”

Him. Yeshua. He’s alive!”

“Have you gone mental Peter? You may have been off denying that you even knew him, but I was there. I saw him die. I felt the earth shake and saw the sky grow dark. I witnessed it all. He’s dead.” Lindsay felt tears bubbling to the surface even before she finished her statement.

“No, you don’t understand…” Peter said slightly frustrated. “Do you remember everything that Yeshua said about having to leave and then coming back? He wasn’t talking about taking a trip to Egypt. He was talking about dying and coming back to life. He was in this very room less than an hour ago. I’m telling you. He’s alive.”

Lindsay looked around the room. Everyone there had the same look as Peter, a look of peace and wide-eyed hope. Still, Lindsay couldn’t bring herself to believe that the man that she had seen die only a couple days earlier was really alive. Yes, Yeshua was alive in the next life, but certainly not in this one.

“I don’t believe it. I won’t. People don’t just come back to life.”

She took the food that she had brought for the group into the kitchen and started putting it on the shelves. Then, she heard a voice behind her.

“Liz.” The name that only he called her.

Lindsay wheeled around. It was Yeshua! No, wait. Was this for real or was she giving into her hopes that Peter was right?

“Liz, I created you. I know how your mind works. Go ahead. Touch me. Ask me questions. Anything so that you will believe that it is really me. I don’t mind.”

He had the same kind eyes, the same smile. She looked at his wrists. They still had the nail marks from where he had been nailed to the cro

She ran toward him and hugged him, tears streaming down her face. “Yeshua. My Lord and my God!”

1 comment:

Rach said...

this is wonderful, Liz!