Sunday, March 2, 2008

Narnia

I just finished watching "The Chronicles of Narnia" for what has to be the millionth time. For some reason, I just can't get enough of it and it's not just because I'm a budding C.S. Lewis scholar :)
As a kid, my mom read my sister and I the Chronicles. I didn't like them much back then because something seemed wrong with them, especially in "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." When I wrote my senior thesis in college on C.S. Lewis, I reflected back on why I didn't like the books then. It was because it naturally felt wrong to me that the 4 children in the book had to be separated from Aslan, the Jesus figure of the series. I didn't understand why they couldn't just stay in his presence for the rest of their lives.
I think that I watch and read "Narnia" over and over because it awakens something in me that is deeply powerful. It's a yearning for perfection and to be in the presence of my Aslan. It's a ever-renewing realization that I'm meant for and loved by Someone greater than this world.

No comments: