Friday, May 2, 2008

'Useful Idiots' No More

I usually stay away from blogging about political issues. Mainly, this is because I'll end up offending somebody. This blog is not written to offend, unless you think Rush Limbaugh speaks all truth or that voting Democrat will reverse all the evils in this nation.
I recently came across this story on CNN.com. It's entitled "'An Evangelical Manifesto' criticizes politics of faith." On Wednesday, some conservative leaders are going to release a self-critical 'manifesto' detailing how Christians on both sides of politics have twisted the spirit of Christianity to suit their own causes. Although the document is signed by about eighty Christian leaders, big-name leaders such as James Dobson didn't sign it. Southern Baptists weren't even invited to the party (which should be a signal to the SBC that something isn't quite right).
My reaction after getting over my natural skepticism: this is great! Sure, major leaders didn't sign the manifesto, but at least there are those in the mainstream that are starting to realize that something is horribly wrong. As with AA, the first step is to admit that there is a problem. My sincere hope and prayer is that the manifesto is not a dead document from the beginning. It would be great if this is the beginning of major change in mainstream Christianity.
I'm personally of the mindset that Jesus doesn't have a favorite political party. Actually, I think that he is disgusted by politics and most of what we have done in his name. There has been a lot of talk in this election about the 'moral high ground.' The truth is that neither side has it. Where does this leave Christians that truly want to do what Jesus would want? I really don't know. I'll let you know if God sends me some divine revelation on this topic. Right now, I'm just interested to see how the manifesto addresses some of these issues and if it's really a step away from the status quo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is remarkable that neither Jesus, nor any of the apostles (particularly Paul, a citizen of Rome), wasted their years on earth trying to reform human government. It is our primary task as Christians to point the way to the Savior, who changes the heart. Everything else follows that. /kman