Friday, May 16, 2008

Prince Caspian

Wow. It feels like I haven't blogged in a long time. Not much has been going on lately. I've been thinking some (what I think are) deep thoughts, but I haven't fully processed them yet. More on that later.
I went to the midnight showing of Prince Caspian last night/this morning. Despite what the mixed reviews say about it, I thought it was a great movie. Sure, it's not as awe-inspiring as the first movie, but sequels rarely are.
My C.S. Lewis scholar opinion: The movie deviates a lot from the book. Parts of the book that were only a couple of pages take up a lot of time in the movie. They switch events around and don't fully explain some stuff. Parents, be aware that the movie is also darker than the book.
My average movie watcher opinion: Sure, it's a loooong movie, but I never found myself wishing that it was over. I was actually kind of sad when it ended. I also appreciate that they added a little bit of humor in there.
Linds' rating: A

3 comments:

Michael said...

I went and saw the midnight opening of Prince Caspian. I thought is was good. Aside from a few things different from the book, it did a fairly good job holding to it. I'm looking foward to hopefully doing Voyage of the Dawn Treader which is one of my favorite of the series

mbrewer said...

Awesome movie! I noticed all of the differences from the book, but I don't think they were bad changes. They were able to tie it all in very well. And the character development was great. May 7, 2010 will be another good day.

Anonymous said...

the makers of Prince Caspian kept to the original story better than i would have expected... i had heard they were going to make it into a silly pure-action flick, but thankfully this was not so much the case