Monday, February 25, 2008

Taking Suggestions

I just realized that I've been sitting in the same place for about 30 minutes thinking about all kinds of things. Then I thought that I would read a book to at least get something done, but I don't have a book that I want to read right now. You may be glancing over at my book list and thinking that I've gone crazy. No, I just read books differently than most of the world's population. I can't just sit down and read one book cover to cover. I usually have several books that I take turns reading based on my mood and how much I really want to think.
For example, I have a Brian McLaren book that I've been reading for several months now. I can only read one chapter of Brian at a time and it's deep enough that I have to be in a special sort of mood to even crack the cover. I have Out of Africa for the times that I want to travel but can't get past downtown Seattle. I have Pride and Prejudice for when I'm feeling romantic (or unromantic, based on the chapter). The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy gives me entertainment when I don't really want to think beyond a surface level. The American Political Tradition speaks to my history background and makes me feel like I'm using my degree for something.
All that to say, I need book suggestions. It doesn't matter what kind of book it is. If you enjoyed it, let me know about it so I can expand my book rotation to suit all moods :)

1 comment:

Michael said...

Here's the books I've read so far this year in case you might want to pick one up to read:

Bonhoffer Speaks Today: Following Jesus at All Costs by Mark Devine

The Mark of Jesus by Timothy George and John Woodbridge

Faith and Reason: Searching for A Rational Faith by Ronald Nash

Darwin on Trial by Philip Johnson

The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ by Gary Habernas and Michael Licona

I really enjoyed the first two, they're fairly quick reads but have got a lot of good stuff in them