Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Latin Aerobics = Church

Last Friday, I decided to try out a new class at the local YMCA called Latin Aerobics. It had the potential to be lots of fun even though I have all the moves of the Baptist white girl that I am. What can I say? I was feeling adventurous.
The class was supposed to start at 6:30am. (Yes, I can get up that early on my own if I feel the need.) When my friend and I got there, only the 20-something instuctor was there. We had a nice chat with her and then got up to start the workout. About two seconds before the girl turned on the Latin workout music, about eight older ladies (in their 70s-90s, no kidding) came into the room. Apparently, these ladies go to the 6:30 workout class every morning no matter what the workout is. They spread out around us as the workout began.
About five minutes into the workout, one of the ladies who was probably in her mid-70s tapped my friend on the shoulder and very firmly suggested that we move to another part of the room (aka. out of her space). We moved and the workout went on.
At the end of class, we did some core exercises on the floor with mats. When the class was over, we went and stacked the mats back where we got them. As I turned around, the same lady gave me a dirty look and told me to clean my mat. My mom says that I took this too hard, but I seriously felt like I had just made my grandmother mad.
So, I've been thinking about this for the past few days. I think that my latin aerobics experience is what it's like for some people to go to church for the first time. The pastor (aerobics instructor) is really nice and welcoming. He/she wants everyone to get involved. The people themselves often lack something to be desired though. They get into their own personal routines and refuse to break out for other people. They point out flaws in the spirit of judgment instead of the spirit of love. They make newcomers not want to come back until they feel like they're perfect themselves.
Just thinking...

2 comments:

Rach said...

very deep

Anonymous said...

Good analogy. And so true!