Friday, February 22, 2008

Donut Wars (Part 1)

I'm a foreigner in a strange land. OK, so I'm just a Tennessean living in Seattle, but I find myself in a place where the clear dominance of Krispy Kreme donuts is not recognized by all.
I came to this realization the day that my supervisor made a post on his blog that sung the praises of Top Pot donuts. He said, "I’d do a comparison of Top Pot to Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts or Winchell’s, but seriously folks, that would be like comparing your grandma’s homemade cherry pie to one of those Hostess cardboard things with is-this-toxic-or-edible?"
I was shocked! What could be better than a Krispy Kreme in the morning? I took this complaint up with my supervisor. It lead to some good-natured trash talk about donut supremacy and a promise to do a taste test.
Today we had our staff meeting at Top Pot. I had my favorite kind of donut, the Bavarian Cream (or Boston Creme donut as they are called at Dunkin Donuts). It wasn't the kind of life changing experience that I had been lead to believe it would be. It didn't melt in my mouth, the texture wasn't great. I have to admit that the donut wasn't exactly fresh so it took away from the experience and I did try Ronnie's old-fashioned donut and it was better than mine. Therefore, I will reserve my final judgment until we've been to Krispy Kreme about who actually makes the best donuts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, your supervisor sounds very harsh! I'm sure he didn't mean to wound you so deeply. Just keep in mind that even if it is inferior to Krispy Kreme, a free donut is better than no donut.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're still holding down the greatness that is a Krispy Kreme :)