Friday, April 25, 2008

The Future of Ministry

I've been following a interesting conversation that has been going on via the blogosphere. It all started with a post that Chris Marshall made about the economy and the future of the church. Basically, he said that the Builder generation is dying out, only half of the Boomer generation is financially able to support the church, and the my generation is living in constant debt. Therefore, the financial stability of the church is going the way of the dodo bird. Many others have offered their own extensions of this thought including the fact that theological degrees are becoming less and less valuable. For a good summary and other thoughts, go here. Actually, I insist that you go there so you will fully understand what I'm about to say.

How do I put what I'm thinking nicely? If the major implications of this conversation are true, what the heck am I supposed to do about my future? All the posts that I've read have frowned on those with seminary degrees and no other marketable skills. An M.Div. has always been in my game plan for the future. I have a B.S. in History and no other valuable skills. I don't want to go into counseling because I care too much, I can't go into business because I just flat out don't understand it. What is a SBC girl whose only skills are reading books and analytical thinking supposed to do with her future if she really wants to make a Kingdom difference and enough money to live on? The answer of those from past generations apparently just won't cut it for mine.

And, current leaders of the church: what are you doing to really prepare my generation for the ministry of the future?

3 comments:

Michael said...

Here's an option. There was a group here at the seminary last week that sends M.Div graduates to Africa to teach in the colleges there. I can't remember the name of the group unfortuately at this moment but they're non-demoninational and evangelical.

I would recommend if God leads you to seminary to do it. The wisdom and knowledge I've gotten so far has been tremendous, both at Fuller and at Midwestern. It is a great experience. And I believe God will provide once you get out of seminary too (that's my hope as well)

Marsh said...

Lindsay,
good words here, thanks.
I got an MDiv and loved my experience for reasons other than preparing me for a vocational life in ministry but rather it turned into a great sabbatical where I had to go back to the drawing board with God and let Him lead me through a wilderness period in my life. I learned to see the Kingdom differently and grew to a style of ministry that I felt comfortable in my own skin to do. For that I'm thankful. Where God calls, God provides I have learned.
peace,

Unknown said...

Totally understand what you are getting at. I have a bachelor's degree (and the student debt that came with it) in Christian Ministry.

I've worked at Starbucks, in a homeless shelter, and now in a church, but the conversation certainly gives me pause. I am considering going back to get and MPA (Master of Public Administration) or an MBA with a public/non-profit emphasis.

With your skill set of being analytical you could probably do well in a non-profit, maybe program director or in Human Resources at an organization that you liked/agreed with...

For what it's worth,

Tim