Monday, January 21, 2008

Kingdom Life

Yesterday at The Journey the pastor talked about this thing called 'kingdom life.' Kingdom life is basically living out the reality that the kingdom of God is not only a future promise but a present thing. Jesus says in Matthew 6:33, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness..." This is not a command to sit back and wait for a "by and by" Heaven. It is a command to seek the kingdom in this life. To live out the ways of Jesus in this life.
This concept was not a new one to me when I heard it yesterday. From the first day I moved to Seattle, my supervisor has been talking about kingdom life and what that really looks like. I guess that the full weight of the concept finally hit my yesterday. How is what I'm doing on a day to day basis contributing to the kingdom of God?
That thought process led to my questioning of what I'm supposed to do with this life that I have been given. I thought that I had a pretty good idea of what my life is supposed to be, but now the only thing that I'm sure of is that I have no clue at all. God has a funny way of pulling my own hopes and dreams out from under me and telling me to go a different direction. We've had fights about this. I haven't won one yet.
I guess this was all to say that I don't know what life is supposed to look like anymore. I think that's where God wants me for the moment. It's a frustrating place to be. It's one of emotional pain, but also a place where great victory is possible.

No comments: