Thursday, January 10, 2008

A Good Day

I have to admit that today was one of the best days I've had in Seattle. I'm not saying that it was the absolute best, but it definitely makes the top ten. Today is what I want my typical day-to-day life to be more like.
I woke up a little bit later than usual but still had enough relaxing time before I went to the staff meeting at 10:30. The staff meeting went smoothly and was a good blend of getting stuff done and goofing off. After an incredibly healthy lunch (something that doesn't happen often enough, I must admit), I went to SureShot which is my favorite independent coffee shop in the U-District. I ordered a delicioius 12 oz. decaf mocha from a guy that had only been working there for about 3 hours (or so it seemed from the kinds of questions he was asking his co-worker). After getting my mocha, I sat down and started reading a book by Bill Bryson about his travels in Europe. For those of you that like a good travel book, Bill Bryson is the man for you. Informative yet funny. While I was reading, I got a call from Brittany. We had a short conversation but it made my day a hundred times brighter just to talk to her. Because I was happy and ready to take on the rest of the day, I left SureShot and walked on campus for a while. I picked up a copy of The Daily (the UW student newspaper that, surprisingly, comes out daily) and worked on the crossword at the Purple Door for what was left of the afternoon. At 5:30, I put the crossword down and went to a Habitat for Humanity meeting on campus. I pitched a fundraising idea that the NCM staff has been kicking around for Habitat called "'Have-a-Tat' for Humanity." It's a long story but a wonderful idea. The president of the UW chapter loved the idea and said she would send me an email soon to set up a meeting to work out more details. Because it was supper time after the Habitat meeting, I went back to the Purple Door. I wanted to make Pillsbury biscuits, but it turned out that they had expired on Dec 10. I called my mom to see if I would die of some horrible disease if I made the biscuits anyway. Without going into details, my mother convinced me that it would be better if I tried to make my own biscuits from semi-scratch. I'm not saying that I have a potential career of making world famous biscuits, but I did pretty well for myself. At 7:30, I went upstairs and sat in on the Every Nation worship time. (Every Nation is another small campus minisitry that needed space to meet in, so we offered to let them use our space on Wednesday nights for the quarter.) It made me extremely happy to see the Purple Door getting used for a student worship space again. I also got to have some great conversations with the Every Nation students and staff.
It is days like today that help me to remember why I stay in Seattle. I have to admit that there are days that I am so frustrated with the city/ministry that I want to leave Seattle and go back to Tennessee. Then God sends me a day where everything clicks and life is good. Today was just one of those days.

No comments: