Monday, September 7, 2009

The "Postmodern Crisis"

Here's what's been going on inside my head lately...I was sitting in class on Friday and one of my classmates was presenting on Rabbinic hermeneutics. I don't remember exactly what he was talking about, but I do remember hearing that we could take some pointers from the ancients about how to deal with the "postmodern crisis" that we're dealing with today. Most of my classmates gave knowing nods while my first thought was "Nobody told me that we were having a crisis. Is postmodernism spinning out of control and destroying humanity?"

After a few brief seconds of snide sarcasm in my head, I was actually saddened. While I'm sure my classmate is a great person, he's setting himself up for potential failure in ministry. He sees the present (in the Northeast and West) and future (in the South) mindset of people in the United States as an obstacle to be overcome and corrected instead of a reality that can be worked with for the glory of God.

My main point is this. The message of Jesus has never been in peril. God knew postmodernism was coming and has a plan to engage people in new ways. The question is: are we going to fight against the "crisis" (and lose the respect and attention of many in the process) or are we going to pay attention to our surroundings and see where God is at work?

1 comment:

Steve said...

Well said, really. Keep kicking butt.