Friday, August 21, 2009

Oh, Seattle

It's taken me almost a month, but it finally hit me tonight. I miss Seattle. I mean, I really miss Seattle. I miss the wonderful people that made it home, the quirky neighborhoods that I didn't explore quite enough, and certain restaurants that don't have an equivalent anywhere around here. I miss world-class coffee, housing-challenged philosophers, and reliable public transportation. I look for mountains and brilliant shades of green, but all I see is a recovering hurricane zone. Even though I live in a dorm where everybody keeps their doors closed, I keep mine open sometimes because it feels wrong to be cut off from the community. I feel like I've gone from a place where questioning was encouraged to a place where everyone is telling me to conform. Why am I here?

This new city has its own unique culture to be explored and I've already made some pretty amazing friends, but I don't think all of me has made it here yet. My heart is still lagging behind somewhere in Seattle.

2 comments:

Michael said...

I totally know the feeling. It took me a long time to get somewhat used to living away from Seattle. I think a part of me will always be in Seattle. When I came and visited in January, I felt like I was home even though so much had changed in the year since I left.

I hope things are going well for you down in N.O. and I hope that you have a good first semester in seminary.

tweet said...

*hug*... we miss you too!!! So I got back from Israel. I have been to the PD once and was excited cuz Charlie and talia were still there and then I realized you weren't. It saddened me. I then realized how weird this next year will be without you in it.... (PS I read all your recent blogs and they made me smile :) )
love ya