Friday, December 14, 2007

Culture Shock

So, I had my (almost) weekly one-on-one meeting with my supervisor today. He reminded me that I'm almost 25% done with my time in Seattle. On the outside, I'm sure I looked somewhat calm. On the inside, I was saying "Eek! It's feels like I've been here for a couple months at the most. Where did the time go?"
I've learned a few things since I moved to Seattle:
1. There's no point in messing with my hair in the morning if I know that it's going to rain.
2. Getting lost is the only true way to learn a city.
3. Coffee is the new water (at least in Seattle).
4. Living in the city is like being alone in a crowd. Good friends are hard to come by.
5. Being a Jesus-follower on the west coast is neither easy nor popular.
6. As Donald Miller put it so aptly, "It's interesting how you sometimes have to leave home before you can ask difficult questions, how the questions never come up in the room you grew up in, in the town in which you were born. It's funny how you can't ask difficult questions in a familiar place, how you have to stand back a few feet and see things in a new way before you realize that nothing that is happening to you is normal."

I'm leaving Seattle on Monday to go home for Christmas. Am I going to experience reverse culture shock?

1 comment:

Rach said...

I'm glad you're coming home!!