Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Update on a Busy Life

So, July was...umm...let's just say busy. At the end of June, I left my job at the school and found a full-time job at Panera Bread. It's a brand new store that opened on July 17th, so on July 1, I figured out I had a little free time on my hands until training started on July 9th. So, like all homesick people who have time to kill, I made a trip to see my family and friends. It was relaxing, refreshing, and fun. Plus, I got to see a view like this, which I can't really get in New Orleans.


I also saw my mom's side of the family on the 4th of July. That just made it all the better. I haven't been home for the 4th in years, and was glad to get to be a part of it this year.

As I mentioned earlier, Panera Bread opened on July 17th. We had training the entire week before the store opened, but I don't think that anyone was prepared for the amount of people that were going to show up. Apparently, opening the first store of a popular chain in a state makes people go crazy. We had record-breaking sales the first few days we were opened, which means that we made A LOT of food. I worked on opening day, and I was exhausted by the time my shift was over. Thankfully, I had a dinner date with an awesome couple I know from school. They got me these Happy Opening Day earrings to cheer me up. All I can say is that God knew that I needed friends like them to help get me through my remaining time in New Orleans.


On the church planting front, things have been a little more slow going. I'm starting to understand what that church planter in Toronto meant when he said that church planting is really just managed bi-polar. There are really high highs and really low lows. I don't dare to even think I've peaked on either end of that spectrum, but there are good days and there are bad days.

The good things that have happened: (1) my church in Tennessee set up a fund more me so I can know start asking people to give financially to church planting in Seattle, (2) I found a really good resource that is helping me figure out the other things that need to be done in order to make Seattle a reality, (3) I have already had people seek me out to find out how they can help support me.

The bad things: (1) I haven't received the desired response from some of the avenues I have pursued for funding, (2) Work leaves me tired and without the energy to get much accomplished on days I work. Thankfully, I have two days off a week, which I use to my advantage to get things done.

So, there's July for you. I saw family, I started a new job, and I launched my support efforts for Seattle. I'll be starting a new blog in the future that is dedicated to things related to my church planting, but I still plan to keep RainRamblings around. I'll let you know when that happens...Probably on my next day off :)

No comments: