Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Life Lived

What does living life to its fullest mean? I have a sneaking suspicion that it looks different for everyone. Tonight what I've been contemplating is what it looks like for me. Does it mean traveling the world, seeing all the beautiful sights and never really rooting myself in one place? Or does it mean settling down and raising a family, investing my life in a very intimate way in someone else's? Does it even have to be a either/or?
For my parents, for my sister, it looks like the second option. Not that they don't enjoy traveling and experiencing new things, but they are very much grounded in their respective areas, grounded in their own groups of friends. They have definite goals and a clear(ish) picture of how to get there. And I pray and ask if that is where my life is heading, but I don't get an answer. I get a big nothing. Or I get a big "Wait." I like to be prepared. I want to know what life lived to the fullest means for me and feel like I'm going to miss out on it if I don't know what it is ahead of time.
I know that I won't. God has always been too faithful for that to happen. But that doesn't stop the need to know. To search it out. To wonder if my actions are leading to that life well-lived.
Just a passing thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting question. I think the life lived is one in which you take pleasure in everyday things. It's enjoying that cup of coffee in the morning and the conversation you have with a friend. The debate you have over studies in class, and perhaps seeing from a different point of view through conversation and discussions. I think its the little things that you'll look back on when you're older and be glad that you did them.

However, I'm certain that you will have a well lived life with your faith and good heart. Whether it's one spent traveling or settling down and creating a family. Your faith will lead you on the right path. :)