Tuesday, June 8, 2010

24

Most likely, the majority of people will find this blog while searching for information about the last season of '24'. Sorry, you can navigate away now and save yourself some time. This post is about my 24th year of life, which will become my 25th year in just a few hours. I've reached the quarter-century mark. That's amazing to me since I still feel like a teenager most of the time.

I took some time to remember my 24th year today. Here's the highlights reel:

1. I finished my first real adult job as a campus minister at the University of Washington.
2. I moved across the country...again. This time I took a different route (I-90) and saw some interesting sights such as the spot of Custer's last stand, hundreds of motorcycle enthusiasts heading to Sturgis, SD for the annual motorcycle rally, Wall Drug Store, and the exit for Mount Rushmore.
3. I moved to New Orleans.
4. I started my first year of grad school at a school I never thought I would actually go to.
5. I met new friends who will continue to be an important part of my life for years to come.
6. I learned to make a latte (and many other drinks) when I got a job as a barista.
7. I experienced my first transmission failure while visiting Knoxville for Fall Break.
8. I got my first B in my higher education career. It was in Hermeneutics. I joke that I can be trusted to interpret the Bible correctly only up to 90% of the time.
9. I got my first real sense of 'life goes on without me' when I visited my former ministry in Seattle during Christmas Break.
10. I found a church, which I will become a member of in the next few months.
11. I got to show off my new city to my family.
12. I saw 'Wicked' when it came through New Orleans. I hate musicals. I absolutely loved this one.
13. I wrote my first philosophy of ministry, full confession of faith, and many other firsts in the world of paper writing.
14. I ran/walked my first 5k, a goal I've had since college.
15. I became friends with a tarot card reader, helped bail a voodoo priest out of jail, visited an establishment on Bourbon Street, and got class credit for all of it :)
16. I finished my first year of grad school.

Many other things happened during my 24th year of life, but those are the non-boring bits that I could remember off the top of my head. Thanks to all those who made 24, even the very routine parts, both possible and meaningful.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Darn't. I was hoping to learn about Jack Bauer's fate. Thanks for nothing!

I jest :) Sounds like a good year. Welcome to the second quarter century of your life!