Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Top Three Tuesday

OK. Today's top three isn't going to be as fun as usual. It's more of me thinking out loud. Although, I do have to say that if I was writing a fun top three today the Rusty Pelican Cafe in Wallingford would definitely make the top of the list. If you live in or near Seattle, you should definitely check it out :)

So, it's the season for making life decisions. So here are my top three choices.

1. Attend a seminary affiliated with my denomination. If I attended the seminary in North Carolina, I would probably get my M.Div in Collegiate Ministry. If I went to the one in Louisiana, it would probably be a M.Div in Urban Ministry. Pros: 1. It's a cheap-ish education in something that I enjoy. 2. I would be closer to home. Con: I feel like I'm selling my soul in some respects.

2. Go to school at Truett (Baylor's seminary) in Texas. If I went down this road, I would try to get a dual M.Div/MSW degree. Pro: Truett is more aligned with what I believe at the present time. Cons: 1. One word: Texas. 2. I'd have to sell more than my soul to afford this place.

3. Stay in Seattle for another year. I have the option to keep my job for another year. It would be a very different experience, though, since the group I work for decided to restructure the way we do ministry. Pro: I'd be able to help keep a program running that I helped to build. Con: I don't feel very qualified.

Well, there they are. The top three roads I could take.

Toodles!

3 comments:

Michael said...

I know the decision that you are having to make all too well. If you're want some advice, here some from me.

1) If you're looking for one in our denomination, North Carolina isn't a bad option. Personally, I'd go with Kansas City. The collegiate ministry program is awesome, the profs for those classes are way knowledgable, there is some cutting edge stuff being talked about and the seminary costs are the cheapest in the denomination. It's also only about a day's drive for me (probably be less for you). The only negative is the weather. It gets really cold in the winter and pretty hot in the summer.

2.) If you were to go outside of denomination. I would suggest Fuller in Pasadena. I have a few friends that are down there at the main campus and they enjoy it. The negative is cost both in tuition and housing.

3.) You could stay on in Seattle and take classes part-time at the Fuller Northwest campus (that was the decision I ended up making).

Regardless of what decision you end up making, my main advice would be to just spend some quality time in prayer. And I will be praying for you as you consider your next move.

Kim said...

Good advice, Michael. I like the idea of you staying in Seattle. :-)

Rach said...

seems like a lot to think about...I'll shower you with prayer rather than offer my home-body advice.